Kilig To The Bones

>> Thursday, November 11, 2010

Who will forget this expression?  I believe this was coined during the 1980's when Victoria was just a teenage Hotshot and Papang was doing straight roles (he's remarkable being gay, by the way).  The jejemons might not be using this anymore, but many of us still use this phrase even if it's just of fun or pun.

But we may all be blessed well for being bilingual.  This study said Bilingualism delays onset of Alzheimer's and aren't most of us speak a little or more of English?  Even our lolos and lolas are perfectly understood even if they only speak carabao English.  Oh, how I admire the older generation for being able to converse in English even better than most of the younger generation.  To think that the younger gen has more references.  (Well, I choose to belong to the 80's gen which I will call the mid-gen, for middle generation.)

Anyway.  Still with the language.

I remember when I was just starting this blog, someone who wanted to comment asked me if she can do it in Tagalog (or Filipino).  I said, "Oo naman."  The reason why this blog is generally English is because of the subscriptions and other stuffs that I added.  They always asked, "what is the major language of your blog?" and it should be in English to comply and be approved.  But it never said that we cannot use our language.  And nowadays, we already have the "Translate" button.

But the thing is, I have always admired those people who are very good in English and even better in written and spoken Tagalog (or Filipino).  My take is there is nothing like your mother tongue.  When I was working at a call center, my colleagues and I couldn't wait for our shifts to end because by that time, we can finally speak Tagalog.  When I was in Dubai, we excuse ourselves (this is very important) from other nationalities when we wanted to say something to each other in our language because sometimes, we can express ourselves more if we use our native tongue.  Some statements are better articulated and better understood, too.

So, with the news that I linked, I guess it's about time we know some of our Filipino conjugations.  When do we use the words 'daw' and 'raw' and 'din' and 'rin?'  I admit it:  what I only know that we use RAW when the word ends in vowels, and DAW when the word ends in consonants.  But I saw this longer version from Dene Gomez's wall.

Sa mga salitang nagtatapos sa patinig at mga titik [W] at [Y], ginagamit ang RIN at RAW.

     Halimbawa:  Ako raw ang nagsabi.
                         Ikaw raw ang nagsabi.

At sa mga salitang nagtatapos sa katinig, DIN at DAW naman.

     Halimbawa:  Bakit daw hindi mo sinabi agad.
                         Sa susunod daw, sasabihin mo agad.

Pero, pag ang mga salita ay nagtatapos sa RA, RE, RI, RO, RU, RAY at RAW, ginagamit din ang DIN at DAW.
  
     Halimbawa:  Sa Peru daw nakatira ang mga Inca.
                         Wag kang mag-alala, aaraw din yan bukas.
                         Si Kiray daw pala yong kontrabida sa Mara Clara.
                         Ang may-ari daw non ay taga-Maynila.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated before they are published to get rid of spams or hateful rants.

If you don't have an account with Google or any of these OpenIDs, you can log in using the Name/URL button. No need to write anything on the URL space.

Thank you for taking time to comment on my articles!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

About

My photo
This site is created to celebrate life in STA. CRUZ, LAGUNA and its nearby towns. It aims to promote business, community and travel in the town. It's also the community's resource site for events, activities and others that will empower the community and its province. The site also aims to create inspiration by featuring individuals who come from the town and are working hard to achieve their dreams for the community and mankind in their own special ways.
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs PhilippinesBlog Directory for the Philippines Blogarama - The Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP