Happy Halloween!

>> Sunday, October 31, 2010

When I was a kid, I was told about those people who goes tonight; they will go from house to house.  This is called 'pangangaluluwa.'  From house to house, they will sing songs that are meant to pray for our loved ones who already passed away.  But I never got to meet people like them when I was young.  I don't really know already how old that tradition was but my lolo used to tell me about it.  He said that the songs were never meant to be fun like Christmas carols because it's supposed to be odes for the souls.  In return, these people get to have something from the house.  I think it's probably the same as what carolers get when they sing their Christmas carols.


Still when I was young, the week before All Saints' Day was the time for ghost stories and scary movies.  And tonight is the last day for those stories.  In some other places, they go 'trick or treatin' which I don't know about growing up.  I heard about it when I was college, but that's just about it.

Where I grew up, it's all about getting ready for tomorrow.  The tombs of my lolos and lolas (and the rest of them relatives) are cleaned by this time and what we will need to make sagobe tomorrow are complete.  And a sagobe of that time will not be complete without langka.  And I don't know if it's just me, but I have observed that sagobe is the popular merienda during All Saints' Day.  The sagobe will be our merienda when we got home from the cemetery.  Is sagobe also a part of your merienda on All Saints' Day?

Anyway.

These days, there are Halloween parties.  There are trick or treats in more town that I have ever known and there will be more people going to bars that hosts halloween specials.

2 comments:

Jen October 31, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

since when do you guys celebrate halloween? nung bata pako i never heard of halloween until i came here in the states, but i do know all souls/saints day though.. pero nakaka-aliw naman yung pangangaluluwa, i wish i could've experience it even once, i bet its nice. :D

Admin October 31, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

There are some places that have Halloween parties. In Manila, there are a lot. Here, there are some bars and restos that has Halloween parties.

I just don't know if there are places in the province that still has those people na nangangaluluwa.

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated before they are published to get rid of spams or hateful rants.

If you don't have an account with Google or any of these OpenIDs, you can log in using the Name/URL button. No need to write anything on the URL space.

Thank you for taking time to comment on my articles!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

About

My photo
This site is created to celebrate life in STA. CRUZ, LAGUNA and its nearby towns. It aims to promote business, community and travel in the town. It's also the community's resource site for events, activities and others that will empower the community and its province. The site also aims to create inspiration by featuring individuals who come from the town and are working hard to achieve their dreams for the community and mankind in their own special ways.
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs PhilippinesBlog Directory for the Philippines Blogarama - The Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP